Tuesday, June 24, 2008

BioBag

I have a dirty secret. It's literally dirty because it involves my garbage.

For years, I've been using plastic bags to line the trash bins in my kitchen and bathroom.

Plastic bags! I mean, if God were doing the whole 10 plagues thing today, he'd probably find a way to include plastic bags somewhere between hail and locusts.

It's not like I was buying the plastic bags - I was just reusing the ones I brought home from the grocery store, the drugstore and other miscellaneous places. I wanted to break the habit and get a reusable tote (like this one we featured a couple of weeks ago from Timberland), but then I didn't know what to use in the trash can at home...

But now I've seen the light. (The CFL light, naturally.) I should have been using BioBags all along.

These 100% biodegradable, 100% compostable bags contain no polyethylene (chemical numero uno in the aforementioned plastic shopping bag).

Where plastic bags can take 100, 500 or even 1000 years to decompose, BioBag says that its bags break decompose in just 10 to 40 days in a municipal composting environment.

There's another big difference. From what I understand (largely from reading Alan Weisman's excellent The World Without Us), plastic bags and other plastic objects often just degrade into tiny pieces of plastic. It's not really clear how long it will take for these microscopic plastic granules to ever 'go away'.

BioBag's ingredient list, on the other hand, includes starch, vegetable oil and other renewable resources. BioBagUSA reports that its bags are certified by the Biodegradable Products Institute and that they meet new California legal standards for biodegradable and compostable plastic.

And just to make you feel even better about BioBagging it, BioBags also claim to be GMO-free and certified for use in organic agriculture. Heck, they say that even the inks and dyes on the bags are soy-based.

Thanks to Katy Layton of PetFinder.com for bringing BioBag to our attention. As Katy pointed out, BioBag makes bags perfect for picking up after your pooch or lining your cat's litter pan.

BioBag makes others specifically for kitchen trash, leaves and lawn trimmings,

Where to buy:
Many online retailers carry BioBag products. BioBags can also be found at many natural food stores nationwide and will soon be available in Petco stores nationwide.

No comments: