Tuesday, June 3, 2008

GreenPan Cookware


I have to say I'd be pretty offended if someone told me that I was a pot calling the kettle black (i.e. a hypocrite).

But if someone wanted to call me a GreenPan, well I'd be mighty flattered.

Maybe because GreenPan Cookware stays cool under pressure thanks to its patented ceramic-based Thermolon non-stick coating.

Most non-stick pans are coated with a coated with a compound known as PTFE. But PTFE-coated nonstick pans have several drawbacks. First, the nonstick coating tends to melt and give off harmful fumes around 500 degrees Fahrenheit. There are numerous reports on the Internet about the fumes killing birds, but even in people the PTFE fumes may have at least temporarily harmful effects.

Second, the manufacture of PTFE involves another chemical compound abbreviated as PFOA. The Environmental Protection Agency has begun working with manufacturers to phase out the use of PFOA based on the fact that the chemical seems to persist in the environment - not to mention the bloodsteam of the general population.

GreenPan says that Thermolon contains no PTFE and that the process of making Thermolon requires no PFOA and produces less CO2 than the process of making PTFE.

Now I do have to admit that I have cooked with PTFE-coated nonstick pans for years. I love the fact that I can fry something and not leave half my meal stuck to the pan.

But I've also worried about the coating on the pans. In particular, I noticed that in cleaning the nonstick pans, I'd inevitably leave scratches. I feared that bits of nonstick coating might end up in my food (though presumably at least they wouldn't stick to my intestinal tract if I did swallow anything).

Anyway, I had just thrown away an old, scratched-up nonstick pan when I got the chance to test the GreenPan frying pan. So far, I have to say that it has exceeded all my expectations. If you thought nonstick pans were slippery, you'll be blown away by the low friction quotient inside the GreenPan.

I used to add a dollop of olive oil to my old nonstick pans for good measure, but I'd still suffer a bit of stickiness, especially say if a bit of fried egg splashed onto the un-oiled side of the pan during the egg-breaking process.

With GreenPan, I skipped the olive oil and still slid my fried egg out as easy as pie.

Other fun attributes of the GreenPan include the fact that the pan is oven and stovetop safe up to 850 degrees Fahrenheit.

GreenPan claims to be more scratch and abrasion resistant than the old PTFE-coated nonstick pans. It's still early in the game, but I'm inclined to believe this claim is true based on the look and feel of the Thermolon coating. Plus since nothing sticks to the pan, I don't even use the rough side of my sponge - making scratches highly unlikely if not impossible.

So far, the GreenPan's claims of even heat conductivity also seem to hold water, not to mention fried eggs.

I'm slightly more leery of two other GreenPan advanced performance claims. The 'heat-resistant' stainless steel handle gets a bit warm to the touch for my tastes, but then I'm used to cooking with handles coated in plastic or silicone. If GreenPan had gone that route, it would have probably invalidated the whole 850-degrees heat resistance benefit.

GreenPan also touts the pan as lightweight. Again, I feel like some of the PTFE-coated nonstick pans I've used in the past are a bit lighter, but the heft of the GreenPan doesn't bother me. In fact, it makes the pan feel solid and meant to last.

GreenPan says its pan is dishwasher safe, but since not much food sticks to the pan, I'm perfectly happy to give it a quick rinse and soft sponge bath in the sink.

Though I only tried one frying pan, GreenPan does make several different varieties of frying pans and sauce pans. You can find GreenPan products online at HSN and at other fine retailers starting this summer.

No comments: